Wednesday, April 16, 2008

WA #8: American Author Thesis Proposal

A thesis I could have for my paper could be “F. Scott Fitzgerald uses his main characters as a guide for the reader to look out for the theme in his books. The main character is always more reserved and observant than others. It is in this way that Fitzgerald captivates and teaches his audience for whatever is closest to us is the hardest to see and we learn best when not directly taught.” By writing about this thesis I would most likely be studying Fitzgerald’s technique and themes more than anything else. I would draw a line to how that’s important in society now. The challenge I might find in this is finding the underlying theme behind the theme, or the subliminal message in Fitzgerald’s books. Fitzgerald’s books always have good messages but there is always something else he tries to tell us without being blunt.

However, I would also like to include some other observations I made while reading my books. For example, I would like to write about how F. Scott Fitzgerald’s life influenced his writing. Not only what he wrote about, but how he wrote also. I’d also like to talk a little about how who we are affects how we respond to different kinds of people and explain how in Fitzgerald’s books he always shows evidence of this. The challenge would be to show why that is important and if it is actually relevant in real life. Some other themes I would love to include are love, dealing with leaving a loved one, and how the rich act all in relation to Fitzgerald himself. I also want to write about his physical style of writing because it is really like no other I’ve seen. But I don’t know if I can write about each and every single thing I have discovered about Fitzgerald. Also, I’m not sure all of it would tie into the central thesis. So there’s still some organization left to do. Something I would like to further investigate is his background. Hopefully in reading a biographical article or maybe even some of his short stories (since he takes a lot of his real life and puts it into his writing) I will get the information I’m missing.

A structure I could implicate, as in for my essay structure, could be to divide my paper into four different parts, one for each different part of reading, of course all under one thesis. Except I’d much prefer a more intricate thesis where I can exercise my writing skills by making my essay more intricate. So another way I could go is outlining several smaller points that prove my thesis and then grabbing evidence and examples from the reading and from other possible sources to prove my thesis correct.

No comments: